Re: [Xen-devel] 4.10.1 Xen crash and reboot

  • To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx>
  • From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 16:44:23 +0000
  • Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 16:44:34 +0000

Hi Jan,

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 09:29:34AM -0700, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > Are there any other hypervisor command line options that would be
> > beneficial to set for next time?
>
> Well, just like for your report from a couple of weeks ago - if this is
> on PCID/INVPCID capable hardware, have you tried disabling use
> of PCID?

Aside from a quick test at Andrew's suggestion I have not, because I
thought there were negative repercussions of this, and up until this
point it seemed like problems were restricted to guests and could be
avoided by guest kernel upgrade.

The previous issue with the memory corruption in guests was avoided
by booting with pcid=0.

Does setting pcid=0 leave me increasingly vulnerable to Meltdown
and/or negatively impact performance?

Thanks,
Andy