Re: [Xen-devel] vpci: deferral of register write until p2m changes are done

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 10:04:33AM -0700, Jan Beulich wrote:

> >> But this isn't entirely correct, even if we've got away with this
> >> so far. But we're mostly considering well-behaved guests and
> >> devices. What if one actually triggers bus activity in parallel to
> >> a BAR change?
> >
> > Well, that's likely to not work properly in any case with or without
> > disabling the memory decoding bit?
>
> Of course not.
>
> > But I don't see how that's going to affect Xen stability (or what the
> > domain is attempting to achieve with it).
>
> "I don't see how ..." != "That's not going to ...". And in case my
> prior way of wording it was ambiguous: We very much need to
> think about malicious guests (once any of this is to be extended
> to DomU-s). Hence a goal of "I want to crash Xen" needs to be
> taken into consideration.

Right, so Xen might what to disable memory decoding for DomUs also.

But that's orthogonal to whether we agree that the write to the
command register can happen before the p2m modifications, both in the
map and the unmap case. I think so, but I would like to be sure you
agree before I code this.

Thanks, Roger.