Re: [Xen-devel] Ongoing/future speculative mitigation work

Adding Stefan to Cc.

Should we take this to the spexen or another mailing list?

On Mon, 2018-10-22 at 15:55 +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 06:46:22PM +0100, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > This is an accumulation and summary of various tasks which have been
> > discussed since the revelation of the speculative security issues in
> > January, and also an invitation to discuss alternative ideas.  They are
> > x86 specific, but a lot of the principles are architecture-agnostic.
> >
> > 1) A secrets-free hypervisor.
> >
> > Basically every hypercall can be (ab)used by a guest, and used as an
> > arbitrary cache-load gadget.  Logically, this is the first half of a
> > Spectre SP1 gadget, and is usually the first stepping stone to
> > exploiting one of the speculative sidechannels.
> >
> > Short of compiling Xen with LLVM's Speculative Load Hardening (which is
> > still experimental, and comes with a ~30% perf hit in the common case),
> > this is unavoidable.  Furthermore, throwing a few array_index_nospec()
> > into the code isn't a viable solution to the problem.
> >
> > An alternative option is to have less data mapped into Xen's virtual
> > address space - if a piece of memory isn't mapped, it can't be loaded
> > into the cache.
> >
> > An easy first step here is to remove Xen's directmap, which will mean
> > that guests general RAM isn't mapped by default into Xen's address
> > space.  This will come with some performance hit, as the
> > map_domain_page() infrastructure will now have to actually
> > create/destroy mappings, but removing the directmap will cause an
> > improvement for non-speculative security as well (No possibility of
> > ret2dir as an exploit technique).
>
> I have looked into making the "separate xenheap domheap with partial
> direct map" mode (see common/page_alloc.c) work but found it not as
> straight forward as it should've been.
>
> Before I spend more time on this, I would like some opinions on if there
> is other approach which might be more useful than that mode.
>

> > Beyond the directmap, there are plenty of other interesting secrets in
> > the Xen heap and other mappings, such as the stacks of the other pcpus.
> > Fixing this requires moving Xen to having a non-uniform memory layout,
> > and this is much harder to change.  I already experimented with this as
> > a meltdown mitigation around about a year ago, and posted the resulting
> > series on Jan 4th,
> > https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2018-01/msg00274.html,
> > some trivial bits of which have already found their way upstream.
> >
> > To have a non-uniform memory layout, Xen may not share L4 pagetables.
> > i.e. Xen must never have two pcpus which reference the same pagetable in
> > %cr3.
> >
> > This property already holds for 32bit PV guests, and all HVM guests, but
> > 64bit PV guests are the sticking point.  Because Linux has a flat memory
> > layout, when a 64bit PV guest schedules two threads from the same
> > process on separate vcpus, those two vcpus have the same virtual %cr3,
> > and currently, Xen programs the same real %cr3 into hardware.

> [...]

Amazon Development Centre (London) Ltd.Registered in England and Wales with registration number 04543232 with its registered office at 1 Principal Place, Worship Street, London EC2A 2FA, United Kingdom.