Re: [Xen-devel] [Minios-devel] automation: Creating a patchwork instance to improve pre-commit build testing

On 24/07/2018, 10:46, "Wei Liu" <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 10:38:24AM +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:

> [...]
(aka the 00 patch of the series)

    > >> So how are dependencies between series intended to be dealt with? It
    > >> is not uncommon for someone to say "applies only on top of xyz". The
    > >> implication of "will likely not be reviewed until the tests pass" seems
    > >> unsuitable to me in such a case.
    > >>

    > > We have been asking everyone to rebase to staging before posting a new
    > > version for a long time.  It is natural for the bot to assume that
    > > everything should apply on top of staging. That would provide most value
    > > to the community.
    > >
    > > For special cases like you just mention, we should aim to provide
    > > mechanisms to manually appoint a branch to be tested.
    >
    > Wei, Doug: I have another question, which is mainly for my own
understanding.

    > Right now we allow posting of patches to Linux, Qemu, xen.git,
    > OSSTEST, ... to xen-devel. The planned CI infrastructure only applies
    > to xen.git. Have you thought about how to handle such cases?

    No. I haven't.  We may be able to use some heuristics here.

Or an alternative would be to say: if you want to use the test bot then CC
xengit-testbot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (or something like it) when you submit the
series. That would also get around Jan's issue with dependent series: you would
simply not add the CC, when you know it won't build without a dependency.

Lars