Re: [Xen-devel] [Notes for xen summit 2018 design session] Process changes: is the 6 monthly release Cadence too short, Security Process, ...

On Thursday, 5 July 2018 1:47:27 AM AEST Ian Jackson wrote:
> George Dunlap writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] [Notes for xen summit 2018 design
session] Process changes: is the 6 monthly release Cadence too short, Security
Process, ..."):
> > I seem to recall saying that even if we agreed that moving to continuous
> > delivery was a goal we wanted to pursue, we would still be several years
> > away from achieving anything like it; and so in the mean time, it would
> > probably make sense to move back to a 9-month cycle while we attack the
> > problem.
> Another thing that is that as our window of N years'
> security-supported releases has filled up with ~6-month releases,
> there are more of them.
>
> I know we had concerns that this makes backporting harder.  I'm not
> really sure that's true.  The total amount of backporting lossage
> (merge conflicts etc.) is the same, and trivial automatic backports
> are nearly no work.
>
> But one thing that is noticeable is that this significantly increases
> our test load when a security update comes out.  Each
> security-supported branch gets updates, and osstest suddenly needs to
> test them all.

I did like the idea of an 'LTS' vs 'testing' release. The idea that odd / even
or similar varied in lifecycle - allowing entire versions to be killed off
rapidly.

If we had 'LTS' support at 2 (or more?) years, and 'testing' support at 6 (or
less?) months, would this help?

I guess the idea would be that the 'testing' versions are where all the rapid
features are added, which is then 'frozen' into an LTS release at some point
to only get security fixes via point releases (ala linux kernel version type
bumping).

Is this even practical? I guess this would depend on how often an LTS release
is spawned...

--
Steven Haigh

📧 netwiz@xxxxxxxxx       💻 https://www.crc.id.au