[Xen-devel] [Notes for xen summit 2018 design session ] Testing/Building with Docker/GitLab

The notes were taken by Florian Schmidt of NEC. Thank you

This has some actions on: Lars K, Xudong H, Doug G, Andrew C and Andrii A (who was not present)

We should certainly try and make progress on this as it has the potential to make life for code reviewers easier: it may be worth to organize a specific community call to keep the momentum up

## Testing/building with Docker/Gitlab

Problem: different environments (especially distros), leading to

different gcc, binutil, qemu versions.

People report bugs that cannot be reproduced by the developers.

So maybe we should set up Docker containers for specific build environments.

There are also some Docker configs.

The containers themselves are on gitlab, not docker hub

### What OSs (architectures) should we support?

There is some discussion on whether we should support ARM (in addition

of x86) for this system, since ARM Xen is typically cross-compiled from

x86 anyway.

Stefano says that is true so far, but there is no need these days, and

points to his ViryaOS talk tomorrow.

Virya isn't ready yet, but this is what it's going to bring to the table

(late summer).

Many things in ViryaOS are not releveant here, but it has build

environments inside containers.

There's some kind of overlap, and this could also be used for testing.

Stefano and Doug want to discuss this a bit more between them to see how

their two systems compare.

Matt (ARM): we work on something very similar with a company called

infosifter

Infosifter hae experience with multi-architecture systems.

They build a multi-architecture build system, something like Travis.

Almost done (original plan: last week's dockercon)

The result would be a system that takes a dockerfile as input, and

produces several output i seeral architectures.

### Action points:

Matt: provide information about the tool (see above) that is released

soon, and heck how easily the current Dockerfile-based integration setup

(see xen.git:automation/build/)) would work with their

multi-architecture setup.

Doug: provide containerize script to the others to have a look how that

could help

## CI/CD

Doug has a prototype of the  CI system running on gitlab.

He managed to get them to increase the free build minutes from 2000 per

month to 20000, which then is enough for the project so far. However,

the free-tier CI runners are slow because you get scheduled best-effort.

It would be helpful to have own gitlab CI runners on our own machines (VMs).

Lars tells Doug to write what is required and he'll talk to Ian to see

what can be done there. (Should be possible.)

Stefano: what would be *really* useful is a CI integrated with the

mailing list:

* take patch series from the mailing list

* apply to current HEAD

* do CI testing

* write report (with PASS/FAIL) as a mail reply to the 00 patch of the

series

Intel has something like that for QEMU (called patchbot?). Maybe they

can provide information about that to the xen mailing list, so we can

add something like that?

This would also be much better than maintainer having to manually pick

patches, push them to branches, and kick off CI runs.

One of the big advantages would be that it can save the reviewers a

*lot* of time, because they can immediately see whether they even should

review, or review other (working) patches.

### travis or not?

Travis is popular, well-known and stable, but it has some issues. Most

importantly to us, you either need to use the google cloud or specific

Dockerfiles (that you can extend with your own packages, but not do your

own clean-slate Dockerfiles).

Matt mentions shippable, but the consensus is that this is effectively

the same as the above gitlab integration.

### patchwork integration with patchbot?

If we have patchbot answering mails to the mailing list, it would be

nice if patchwork can use those replies to automatically tag the patch

series, for those who want to use patchwork.

Andrew points out that patchwork has ceaed functioning for the Xen

mailing lists since some mail headers were changed recently.

### checkpatch.pl

###Action Points:

Lars K.: talk to Matt and Dough to see whether we can get dedicated

machines for the gitlab runners

Xudong H.: provide information about patchbot and how it could be used

for Xen patch management

Doug G.: document how the CI works, so that people can set up their own

gitlab-based CI, so that they can test their patches before they even

hit the mailing list.

Andrew C.: find out how to fix patchwork

Andrii A.: please update on the status of checkpatch.pl. Maybe we need

contributors to help out with getting this done