Re: [Xen-devel] [libvirt] Likely build race, "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lvirt"

On 06/12/2018 06:11 AM, Jiri Denemark wrote:

I hit the same race twice on aarch64 and ppc64 and I can confirm the
installation phase fails if libvirt.la is installed later than libraries
which link to it. However, the dependencies seem to be set correctly in
the Makefiles. But it looks like they are only honored when linking the
library during the build phase. During make install libvirt.la and
libraries which link to it are installed independently. That is,
install-modLTLIBRARIES does not depend on anything except for the
mod_LTIBRARIES themselves. Thus when libtool decides to relink the
libraries libvirt.la may still be missing at this point. Manually
changing

     install-modLTLIBRARIES: $(mod_LTLIBRARIES)

     install-modLTLIBRARIES: $(mod_LTLIBRARIES) install-libLTLIBRARIES

fixed the problem for me (tested with an artificial delay added to
install-libLTLIBRARIES target), but I have no idea how to persuade
automake to generate something like that for us.

Eric, is my investigation correct and do you have any ideas on how to
fix the race?

Can you add that line directly into Makefile.am, or does doing that cause automake to complain and/or omit its normal rules because it thinks you are overriding its defaults?

I know that getting automake to add a dependency is not always trivial, but that it should be possible (my strengths lie more on autoconf than on automake).

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266