Re: [Xen-devel] Test for osstest, features used in Qubes OS

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 5:28 PM, George Dunlap <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 5:17 PM, Andrew Cooper
> <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 21/05/18 16:48, George Dunlap wrote:
>>> Well I tried it with a post-RC 4.11 and got the below.  I haven't done
>>> any investigation.
>>>
>>>  -George
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>> (XEN) CPU3: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5630  @ 2.53GHz stepping 02
>>> (XEN) *** DOUBLE FAULT ***
>>> (XEN) ----[ Xen-4.11-rc  x86_64  debug=y   Not tainted ]----
>>> (XEN) CPU:    0
>>> (XEN) RIP:    e008:[<ffff82d080377944>] handle_exception+0x9c/0xf7
>>
>> Do you have xen-syms from this build?  That looks like its in the middle
>> of the Spectre alternative, but isn't the wrmsr instruction itself.
>
> Hmm, sorry, I've trashed it -- I was really trying to test my
> "acpi_sleep=s3_fake" test.
>
> I've never tried suspend on this particular box, so I'm not sure it
> works generally.  Let me get a reasonable baseline first.

OK, well suspend / resume works on this box in all the following configurations:

* 4.8.0 (real)
* 4.8.0 with s3_fake backported (fake)
* 4.8.3 (real)
* staging-4.8 with bti=false and xpti=false (real)

It fails in the following configuration:
* staging-4.8 with speculation mitigations at default.  (It is an
Intel box, so BTI and XPTI will both be on.)

I didn't get a stack trace unfortunately -- the box just stopped responding.

I'll do some more playing around on staging tomorrow.

 -George