Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Project Security Whitepaper v1 is ready for community review

Hi Lars,

I think this is an excellent start.

A specific concern that I have is when we get into a state between releases
and XSAs where you cannot take the current release and then apply all released
/ embargo'ed XSA patches.

The current reasoning for this is that XSA patches are developed on top of the
staging git branches. While this is still acceptable, I believe we need the
ability to roll a new point release that will allow end users to be up to
date.

Expecting things to always be built for distribution from the staging git
branch is somewhat of a hassle - as in the current case of 4.9.1. With
publicly released XSAs, you cannot begin with a release of 4.9.1 and patch all
post-released XSAs.

While this does not seem to happen very often - I would estimate around 4-5
times in the past decade - we should encourage an out-of-schedule point
release. This can be based off the current state post-XSA of the staging
branch - but enables reproducable builds at the very least.

Recently, this situation happened with the batch of XSAs before 4.10.1 was
released, and is currently the case of 4.9.1 + existing XSAs.

This potentially leaves end users in limbo until the next point release rolls
around - without rebasing off a semi-random git commit (which is not 4.9.1 or
4.9.2 - but something inbetween) - or backporting massive amounts of commits
to a release.

As this is a somewhat rare occasion, if only a handful of commits need to be
cherrypicked, I would see this as fine. If it requires many more, I believe it
should trigger an out-of-cycle point release.

--
Steven Haigh

📧 netwiz@xxxxxxxxx       💻 https://www.crc.id.au
📞 +61 (3) 9001 6090    📱 0412 935 897

On Friday, 18 May 2018 8:13:55 PM AEST Lars Kurth wrote:
> Dear Community Members,
>
> just under 3 months ago, we started a community consultation titled "Xen
> Security Process Consultation: is there a case to change anything?" (see
> https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-announce/2018-02/msg00000.ht
> ml). As promised, I would collate the input - together with further analysis
> trying to genuinely consider the implications of what respondents to the
> consultation have been suggesting - in a white paper. The white paper is
> attached and contains

> 1) Baseline: an analysis of our XSAs and how we dealt with XSAs in the
> recent past
 2) Results from the Community Consultation
> 2.1) Feedback received from a community consultation
> 2.2) Analysis
> 3) Recommendations and policy changes - some is quite extensive to try and
> tries to evaluate the impact of policy changes, which would result if we
> implemented solutions to issues highlighted by our users.

> The next step is for community members to provide public feedback. If it
> turns out there is a case for changes/improvements, I will condense the
> output of this discussion into a concrete change proposal (or a series
> thereof) to be voted on in the usual way. This may require several
> iterations. Note that the document contains workflow and tools related
> feedback, which I did not anticipate. Some issues highlighted should be
> easy to fix, others will require additional discussion on xen-devel@, such
> as
 * Inconsistent Meta Data and XSA prerequisites