Re: [Xen-devel] Draft NVDIMM proposal

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 5:26 AM, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
[..]
>> That is, each fsdax / devdax namespace has a superblock that, in part,
>> defines what parts are used for Linux and what parts are used for data.  Or
>> to put it a different way: Linux decides which parts of a namespace to use
>> for page structures, and writes it down in the metadata starting in the first
>> page of the namespace.
>
> And that metadata layout is agreed upon between all OS vendors?

The only agreed upon metadata layouts across all OS vendors are the
ones that are specified in UEFI. We typically only need inter-OS and
UEFI compatibility for booting and other pre-OS accesses. For Linux
"raw" and "sector" mode namespaces defined by namespace labels are
inter-OS compatible while "fsdax", "devdax", and so called
"label-less" configurations are not.