[Xen-devel] reboot driver domain, vifX.Y = NO-CARRIER?

  • To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jason Cooper <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 15:03:46 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 15:04:22 +0000

All,

On Gentoo Xen 4.9.1, I've been creating minimal Linux DomU's to create a
virtual, segregated network infrastructure.  This has been going really
well, and I'm slowly progressing toward a self-updating system.

My main snag has to do with re-attaching VMs to a driver domain after
rebooting the driver domain.  e.g.

                              +-----+
                            /-| VM1 |
                           /  +-----+
       +----+   +-------+ /   +-----+
ISP ---| SW |---| GW/FW |-----| VM2 |
       +----+   +-------+ \   +-----+
        DD        DD       \  +-----+
                            \-| VMN |
                              +-----+

So, in this diagram, SW, GW/FW, and VM1 are mini-VMs.  VM2, and the rest
are full fledged Linux PV VMs.

Only SW, and GW/FW are driver domains.  SW has the physical nic via
pci-passthrough.  There are actually 7 GW/FW mini-VMs (for 7 public IPs,
and 7 different networks), and a trunk mini-VM that aren't shown.

The problem occurs when I reboot a driver domain.  Regardless of the
type of guest attached to it, I'm unable to re-establish connectivity
between the driver domain and the re-attached guest.  e.g. I reboot
GW/FW, then re-attach VM1, VM2 and the rest.  No matter how I do it, I
get:

$ ip link
11: vif20.1: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master br10
qlen 32
    link/ether fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

In the driver domain.  At this point, absolutely no packets flow between
the two VMs.  Not even ARP.  The only solution, so far, is to unnecessarily
reboot the PV guests.  After that, networking is fine.

Any thoughts?

thx,

Jason.