Re: [Xen-devel] Xen and safety certification, Minutes of the meeting on Apr 4th (added brief meeting report from Genivi AMM)

On 20/04/2018, 19:40, "Rich Persaud" <persaur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    On Apr 20, 2018, at 13:25, Stefano Stabellini <sstabellini@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

    >> On Fri, 20 Apr 2018, Lars Kurth wrote:
    >> ## Standardisation: virtio
    >>
    >> Standardization of hypervisor APIs - Matti (Open Synergy)
    >>
    >> Matti made a case for virtio, which is probably a very bad idea from a
Xen perspective (and indeed

https://markmail.org/message/gd7gnkpbsdw54mmm, aka brining
    >> in a device emulator and virtio access model requiring full privileges
over the VM using the virtio
    >> driver. Artem and I briefly discussed whether we should try and raise
very loud objections at this
    >> stage, and we agreed to just highlight these issues. In response Matti
admitted these are issues, but
    >> that he would also not want to have to use QEMU (but something much
simpler and more
    >> lightweight) and that the access model should be resolvable.
    >>
    >> It was also interesting that Mentor and Windriver could not be made to
make a statement whether
    >> they would ever support running such drivers in their OSes as guests.
    >>
    >> I think we should observe for now, and in a few weeks offer to have some
of our experts (maybe
    >> someone from OpenXT and/or Stefano) to engage and in more detail raise
our concerns and
    >> convince Matti. Artem will look out for this.
    >>
    >> **Note:** A meeting to discuss this at a later time that 10:00 is
possible

    > I am happy to jump into any discussions or email threads to explain what
    > are the technical issues with virtio in details. See these previous
    > answers for reference:
    >
    > https://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=151986861423752&w=2
    > https://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=152047729624095&q=p5
    >
    > I think we should write a short whitepaper explaining why virtio is not
    > a good idea, and publish it. That way, we can point people to it. I'll
    > add it to my todo list.

    Good approach.  This paper can include a list of reasons why OS/hypervisor
devs *do* choose virtio.

    Paper should be versioned, since the “network effects” of virtio will
change over time and the paper will need to be updated.

Making sure that we record this on xen-devel after I originally replied to the
wrong thread which didn’t have xen-devel@ on it
Lars