Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC Patch v4 7/8] x86/hvm: bump the number of pages of shadow memory

>>> Each vcpu of hvm guest consumes at least one shadow page. Currently, only
> 256
>>> (for hap case) pages are pre-allocated as shadow memory at beginning. It
> would
>>> run out if guest has more than 256 vcpus and guest creation fails. Bump the
>>> number of shadow pages to 2 * HVM_MAX_VCPUS for hap case and 8 *
> HVM_MAX_VCPUS
>>> for shadow case.
>>>
>>> This patch won't lead to more memory consumption for the size of shadow
>>> memory
>>> will be adjusted via XEN_DOMCTL_SHADOW_OP_SET_ALLOCATION according to the
>>> size
>>> of guest memory and the number of vcpus.
>>
>>I don't understand this: What's the purpose of bumping the values if it won't
>>lead
>>to higher memory consumption? Afaict there's be higher consumption at least
>>transiently. And I don't see why this would need doing independent of the
>>intended
>>vCPU count in the guest. I guess you want to base your series on top on
>>Andrew's
>>max-vCPU-s adjustments (which sadly didn't become ready in time for 4.11).
>
> The situation here is some pages are pre-allocated as P2M page for domain
> initialization. After vCPU creation, the total number of P2M page are
> adjusted by the domctl interface. Before vCPU creation, this domctl
> is unusable for the check in paging_domctl():
>  if ( unlikely(d->vcpu == NULL) || unlikely(d->vcpu[0] == NULL) )

Hence my reference to Andrew's series.

> When the number of a guest's vCPU is small, the pre-allocated are
> enough. But it won't be if the number of vCPU is bigger than 256. Each
> vCPU will at least use one P2M page when it is created, seeing
> contruct_vmcs()->hap_update_paging_modes().

Hmm, that might be a problem perhaps to be addressed in Andrew's series
then, as the implication would be that the amount of shadow/p2m memory
also needs to be set right by XEN_DOMCTL_createdomain (which iirc the
series doesn't do so far).

Jan