Re: [Xen-devel] Cut-off date for Xen 4.11 is March 30th, 2018

On 29/03/18 12:50, Wei Liu wrote:

>>> Well there's a benefit to this, but also a risk: that people will begin
>>> to see the "hard freeze" as more like a "soft freeze", that will always
>>> be pushed back / flexed if you push hard enough.  Part of the purpose of
>>> setting the hard freeze months in advance is so that people can plan
>>> ahead and get stuff reviewed in time; part of the reason for having
>>> 6-month releases is so that the cost of delaying a feature / patchset to
>>> the next release isn't very high.
>>
>> As mentioned before I think anyway that we should revisit this
>> hard freeze date approach. I would much favor a hard freeze
>> date on where it is determined which features are intended to
>> make it and which not. Right now at least everything related to
>> Spectre and Meltdown would imo want to go into the category
>> of "we'll wait until it's in".
>>

> You're mixing up two things: features and security fixes (and their
> subsequent patches). I agree the latter should get special attention
> because missing those would essentially render a release useless or
> unattractive.  Meltdown and Spectre fall into the second category, as
> with all the XSAs.

And we still have the possibility of individual Release-Acks.

> But most of the time, and most developers / contributors write new
> features.  If they are identified with strategic importance, we should
> wait (livepatching comes to mind), but for normal ones (which noone
> argues for), we should have the default position to not wait.
>
> This isn't incompatible with what you said.

Right.

Still I think shifting by one week, given the current situation where
some maintainers had to spend a significant amount of the development
phase with security stuff instead of being able to review patches, is
a sensible thing to do.

So I think I'll do that with making it very clear that this won't be the
default process for the following releases.

Juergen