Re: [Xen-devel] X86 Community Call: Wed March 14, 15:00 - 16:00 UTC - Minutes

On 15/03/2018, 15:04, "Juergen Gross" <jgross@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

    On 15/03/18 14:48, George Dunlap wrote:
    > On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 6:06 PM, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    >> ## Meeting format
    >>
    >> Andy: no suggestions to change
    >> Lars: the only issue I noticed that we had people
    >> Video conference: do this as needed (most conference services have
reasonably worming
    >> html5)
    >
    > One thing I want to toss out there -- would people be willing to try
    > having a meeting on IRC?
    >
    > From my perspective there were two fairly major problems:
    > 1. Difficult to understand some people on the phone
    > 2. People talking at the same time.
    >
    > It's possible #2 will get better, but with 20-something people on the
    > call, and a fairly large delay, my prediction is that it's always
    > going to be a problem.
    >
    > Advantages of IRC:
    > - No "talking over" each other: two people can type at the same time,
    > and it's naturally separated into different chunks
    > - Easier to understand different accensts

    - Easy to have a log of the meeting
    - Easy to lookup what someone else "said" earlier (or even in a previous
      meeting)
    - Followup discussions between only a few participants can be delayed to
      after the general discussion

    > Disadvantages of IRC:
    > - Have to type reasonably quickly
    > - "Anything else?" questions have to wait a lot longer
    >
    > Another technical meeting I'm in we started with half phone, half IRC,
    > but pretty quickly switched to IRC-only, because it was more
    > convenient.

    +1 for the idea.

I think we should try, but I would like to give the call format another go.
Maybe using something like bluejeans where you see who else is talking in the
UI helps.
And also the capability for the organizer to mute people, to be more easily
able to identify who causes an echo: which wasn't really an issue thus time,
but could become one in a future call.

Lars