Re: [Xen-devel] xl.cfg error in usbdev, doc and code are different

On 03/14/2018 11:45 AM, Wei Liu wrote:
> Cc George and Juergen
>
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 11:43:46AM +0000, Anthony PERARD wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I followed `man xl.cfg` to add an usbdev property to my guest config,
>> and xl rejected it.
>>
>> # xl create "usbdev=['devtype=hostdev,hostbus=1,hostaddr=2',]" ~/arch.hvm
>> Unknown string `devtype=hostdev' in usbdev spec
>>

>> In xl_parse.c, the expected string seems to be "type=hostdev", not
>> "devtype".
>>
>> What's the right property name?

I did some archaeology, and it appears:

'type=hostdev' option (in response to patch 7/7, xl.cfg)

* In v8 of the series, Chunyan added the "devtype=hostdev" option (in
5/7, the command-line parsing functions, which are re-used for config
parsing).  It was also called "devtype" in the xl.cfg man page.

* In v9 first send, Chunyan still had "devtype=hostdev" in the parser
and the man page

* In v9's RESEND (to which I gave my R-b), it had silently changed to
"type=hostdev" in the parser, but was still "devtype=hostdev" in the man
page.

Personally I'd probably change the docs to fit the actual behavior.  Any
other thoughts?

 -George