Re: [Xen-devel] rwlock and per-cpu rwlock recursive?

On 27/02/18 19:18, Julien Grall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Arm, we made the (wrong?) assumption that the rwlock was recursive.
> We have a couple of places where the read lock can be nested (mostly
> the memaccess code).
>
> I found out today that it can actually deadlock in the following case:
>     1) CPU A -> Ask for the read lock
>         => Succeed
>     2) CPU B -> Ask for the write lock
>         => Already taken by CPU A so go to the slowpath
>         => Take the internal lock (lock->lock)
>         => Wait until the lock is released.
>     3) CPU A -> Ask for the read lock recursively
>         => A writer is waiting so go to the slowpath
>         => Try to take the internal lock (lock->lock)
>             => Blocking because CPU B already has it
>
> So we end up in a deadlock case. Can someone confirm whether whether
> rwlock was meant to be recursive?

rwlocks are not recursive, but probably will appear to be in the common
case.

When uncontended, an effectively-arbitrary number of read_lock()'s can
complete, but when contended, readers and writers use a regular spinlock
(which is a ticketlock under the hood) to ensure fairness.

> Similarly, I was thinking to move the p2m code to the per-cpu rwlock
> as x86 does. From what I gathered by reading the x86 code, this lock
> could be taken recursively. Am I right?

No - what gives you the impression that it can be taken recursively?  In
the case where we detect taking a second percpu_rwlock, we fall back to
the slowpath of a real read_lock() call.

> Lastly, the x86 p2m code seemed to use rwlock before hand. How did the
> p2m code was handling recursive locking?

Plain spinlocks (when using the recursive helpers), and x86
mm_{rw,}lock_t's can be taken recursively.  A call to spin_lock() will
deadlock if the lock is already taken and you meant to use
spin_lock_recursive().

You probably want to see about reading xen/arch/x86/mm/mm-locks.h

~Andrew