Re: [Xen-devel] GPU passthrough on ARM

On 01/30/2018 11:53 AM, Oleksandr Tyshchenko wrote:

I'm wondering what the GPU would like to the guest. Would it be the same
interface as on a native machine, or would I need PV drivers?

It depends on what guest domain contains.

If DomU has both Display Unit and GPU assigned then PV driver is not needed.
So, here we have the same interface as on a native machine.

But if DomU has only GPU assigned then something like PV display
frontend is needed here,
plus PV display backend running in a guest domain which owns Display Unit.

The possible hint is that if Display Unit has independent crtcs,
connectors, etc it might be possible to split it
into the separate units and assign them to different guest domains (of
course, the HW must be splittable).
I think, this would avoid PV driver usage.

That makes sense. Thanks again for your help understanding this better.