Re: [Xen-devel] Xen release cycle revisited

Hi Juergen:

thank you for raising this. As far as I can tell, the switch to the 6-monthly
release model has had some consequences, some of which were predicted, others
were not. So, I think we should probably review the decision.

Key concerns raised:
• Too much work in actively maintaining 4 branches (6 security branches)
• Impact on users (too many releases)
• I think we are definitely incurring higher overheads than with longer cycles
• It is not clear to me whether one of the key benefits – aka vendors getting
patches into tree more easily – has in fact materialized
• Better release predictability has materialized

Maybe the right approach would be to kick off some kind of survey to gather
input from different stake-holders and maybe plan 4.11 for June. If there is a
consensus for a change to say a year cadence, we probably wouldn’t execute this
until 4.12 anyway.

Maybe make some minor adjustments for the 4.11 cycle based on this thread, if
it makes sense to do so.

Regards
Lars