Re: [Xen-devel] OProfile with Xen-4.9

On 12/21/2017 11:06 AM, Сергей wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have installed Xen-4.9 from Ubuntu 17.10 package. And I would like to
> profile it with OProfile (as far as I know this is the only option).
>
> With instruction from
> http://wiki.prgmr.com/mediawiki/index.php/Chapter_10:_Profiling_and_Benchmarking_Under_Xen#Profiling_with_Xen
>  I have been able to build oprofile-0.9.4. There were some bugs (
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/679925/ ,
> https://sourceforge.net/p/oprofile/mailman/message/30135604/ ,
> https://acassis.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/error-reference-counts-cannot-be-declared-mutable/
>   ).
>
> With `opreport -t 2` I receive:
>> opreport error: No sample file found: try running opcontrol --dump
>> or specify a session containing sample files
> With `more /proc/interrupts |grep NMI` I get:
>> NMI:          0          0          0          0          0          0
>>    0          0   Non-maskable interrupts
> Could somebody point me to some good instruction for profiling current
> version of Xen?
>
> P.S. I have rebuild package with  Performance Counters and  Performance
> Counters Array Histrograms already.

Make sure you have vpmu boot option for Xen.

I am not sure what you are trying to to profile but it's the host (and
not the guest) then this will need xenoprof support in (dom0) kernel.
Those patches have not been maintained for years and I doubt any
reasonably new distro supports this.

You could use perf but there are some limitations on what it can do for
system-wide profiling. Works fine for guests though.

-boris