[Xen-devel] PCI Device Subtree Change from Traditional to Upstream

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Kevin Stange <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 11:40:03 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 17:40:22 +0000
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.10.3 staffmx.steadfast.net 6CF1A14800C2

Hi,

I've been working on transitioning a number of Windows guests under HVM
from using QEMU traditional to QEMU upstream as is recommended in the
documentation.  When I move these guests, the PCI subtree for Xen
devices changes and Windows creates a totally new copy of each device.
Windows tracks down the storage without issue, but it treats the new
instance of the NIC driver as a new device and clears the network
configuration even though the MAC address is unchanged.  Manually
booting the guest back on the traditional device model reactivates the
original PCI subtree and the old network configuration with it.

The only thing that I have been able to find that's substantially
different comparing the device trees is that the device instance ID
values differ on the parent Xen PCI device:

PCI\VEN_5853&DEV_0001&SUBSYS_00015853&REV_01\3&267A616A&3&18

PCI\VEN_5853&DEV_0001&SUBSYS_00015853&REV_01\3&267A616A&3&10

Besides actually setting the guest to boot using QEMU traditional, is
there a way to convince Windows to treat these devices as the same?  A
patch-based solution would be acceptable to me if there is one, but I
don't understand the code well enough to create my own solution.

--
Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer