Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-users] Data corruption with xl migrate

Hi!

Xen Orchestra team here. Our virtual appliance (XOA) is running on Jessie and few customers experienced this problem on XenServer too. I'm trying to investigate more to correlate if the affected customers did a migration before this happened (XOA is running on prem, so we can't monitor it directly).

Keep us posted for any bug report created on Debian side.

Thanks!

Olivier.

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 11:33 AM, George Dunlap <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Andreas Pflug
<pgadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Still experiencing data corruption when migrating 3.16 VMs from one host
> to another...
> Seems independent of Xen version or storage backend.
>
> Regards
> Andreas
>
> Am 13.12.17 um 09:12 schrieb Andreas Pflug:
>> Recently, I encountered file system data corruption on several systems
>> after a migration (ext4, xfs, zfs). So far, I haven't been able to nail
>> down the cause for it.
>>
>> All VMs affected run Debian Jessie with 3.16 kernel. Possibly newer 3.16
>> kernels are more likely to suffer corruption.
>>
>> This happened on a Xen 4.1 cluster (yes, really old) using a SAN storage
>> system, but also on a Xen 4.8 cluster with DRBD mirroring. All systems
>> are working for >>1 year now, only recently those filesystem corruption
>> started to happen. Data blocks seem to get randomly garbled.
>>
>> Migration of Debian Stretch or Windows VMs didn't show any anomalies so far.
>>
>> Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks for the report -- cc'ing a few random people who know more
about the block layer / Debian kernels.

It seems Debian Jessie 3.16 kernel was experiencing corruption on
migration, but not the Debian Stretch kernel or Windows VMs.  That
sounds like a bug in the Debian kernel; any ideas about what patch may
be worth backporting / any steps to help further investigate the
source of the problems?

Thanks,
 -George