Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] xen/arm: Handling cache maintenance instructions by set/way

On 11/12/17 10:06, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> On 08/12/17 08:03, Tim Deegan wrote:
>>> It should be possible to do something like the misconfigured-entry bit
>>> trick by _allocating_ the memory up-front and building the p2m entries
>>> but only making them usable by the {IO}MMUs on first access.  That
>>> would make these early p2m walks shorter (because they can skip whole
>>> subtrees that aren't marked present yet) without making major changes
>>> to domain build or introducing run-time failures.
>> I am not aware of any way on Arm to misconfigure an entry. We do have
>> valid and access bits, although they will affect the IOMMU as well. So
>> it will not be possible to get page-table sharing with this "feature"
>> enabled.
> How would you intend to solve the IOMMU part of the problem with
> PoD? As was pointed out before - IOMMU and PoD are incompatible
> on x86.

Not only that.

The use of an IOMMU is incompatible with any HAP scheme using EPT/NPT
violations to trigger hypervisor work, and will remain the case until
such time as IOMMUs gain restartable pagefaults.  The chances of this
happening are tantamount to zero, due to timing requirements in the
PCI(e) spec.

~Andrew