[Xen-devel] xen 4.8.2 iommu=off problems

Hi,

We have 3x HPE DL180 Gen9 servers, one of these is dual CPU the others single.
They are all running the same
xen 4.8.2 build (plus some XSA patches) and Linux 4.1.46 dom0/guest kernel.  On
the single CPU systems we can
successfully passthrough ports from the onboard controller (igb) and additional
PCIe card when iommu=off
x2apic=off (vs iommu=on), on the dual cpu system the onboard interfaces appear
but on passthrough to the driver
domain the kernel continually logs "igb 0000:05:00.0 eth0: Reset adapter"
messages for both interfaces and they
cannot be used.

I have compared firmware/BIOS versions on all the systems and found them to be
identical (although not
necessarily latest).  Previously all the systems ran xen 4.4.3 + Linux 4.1.43
without any passthrough problems
and iommu=off.

The combination of iommu=off and x2apic=on does not work as xen panics that it
"Couldn't enable IOMMU" (I think
from xen/drivers/passthrough/iommu.c).  The reason for using iommu=off is that
we have noted a performance drop
in HVM guests for iommu=on.

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to proceed in order to get the dual cpu
system working again with
iommu=off.

Thanks,
James