Re: [Xen-devel] Bringing up OSS test framework on moonshot(aarch64) systems

Hi Ian,

On Wednesday 08 November 2017 05:09 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
Bhupinder Thakur writes ("Bringing up OSS test framework on moonshot(aarch64)
systems"):
While going through [1], I have some queries/doubts on the configuration.
NetNameservers 10.80.248.2 10.80.16.28 10.80.16.67
HostProp_DhcpWatchMethod leases dhcp3 dhcp.uk.xensource.com:5556
TftpPath /usr/groups/netboot/

DebianNonfreeFirmware firmware-bnx2
DebianSuite squeeze
DebianMirrorHost debian.uk.xensource.com
DebianPreseed= < <‘END’
d-i clock-setup/ntp-server string ntp.uk.xensource.com
END

1. In this configuration, where would the DNS server be running? Does
it expect that a DNS server is already configured in the network and
it has mapping of name <--> IP address for all test hosts? Or do we
need to setup it up on the OSS controller?
The information about the nameservers, the tftp server, and the ntp
server, is supposed to refer to infrastructure that already exists.
I think your test hosts should be in the DNS, yes.  It may be possible
to get it to work without doing that but I wouldn't recommend it.

osstest does not need a dedicated network.  Specifically, it can
share its broadcast domain, and its dhcp and tftp servers (and web
proxies, Debian mirrors, ntp servers, and so on), with other uses.

When running osstest in production ("Executive") mode the individual
test boxes must be configured to be available to osstest only if they
are not being used for something else, of course.

See INSTALL.production.

2. What is the DhcpWatchMethod option used for?
See under DHCP in INSTALL.production, and please let me know if that's
not clear.
What I could understand is that this option is used to listen to any changes in the dhcp lease file. But I am not clear why osstest needs to listen to any changes to the lease file. Is it because it needs to know the IP address allocated to the guest VMs? So whenever the guest VM is allocated an ip address, the osstest would come
to know.

3. How are the debian related options mentioned above used? Does OSS
fetches the installers/preseed files from DEbianMirrorHost and place
them in the required tftp folders?
mg-debian-installer-update downloads d-i installation information and
puts it in the tftp area.

But the tftp area is also updated at runtime, obviously, in order to
control the booting of each host.  And the mirror host is accessed
separately, too.

I may have more doubts as I try to set things up.
I'm happy to answer more questions, of course :-).

[1] https://blog.xenproject.org/2013/09/30/osstest-standalone-mode-step-by-step/
That blog post may be rather out of date, I'm afraid.  But the in-tree
documentation is somewhat better since then.

I am trying to bring up OSS test framework on a couple of moonshot
systems which are accessible to me remotely.
I'm not familiar with the referent of "moonshot" in this context.  IME
"moonshot" is a project name chosen multiple times, for different
projects, by people who want to give an impression that the project is
ambitious.

Regards,
Ian.

Regards,