Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG] win2008 guest cannot get ip through sriov

Hi Roger,

On 09/11/17 09:27, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
On Thu, Nov 09, 2017 at 12:22:49AM +0000, Hao, Xudong wrote:
Qemu-xen didn't have commit a80363, so I report this issue to ask for sync up
with qemu upstream. Last mail I mean I usually used Qemu Xen tree to do test,
and found out this issue.

Before requesting the backport, have you tested whether it fixes your issues?

Yes, Luwei (Cced) tested it with pass result.

In which case requesting a backport would be in place on the grounds
that's a bug fix.

The patch in question fixes a bug mostly seen when doing
PCI-passthrough of devices that support MSI-X interrupts to Windows
guest (and Windows attempts to setup the interrupts using MSI-X). It
doesn't manifest on Linux or FreeBSD because these OSes use a
different dance to setup MSI-X interrupts, and thus are not affected.
It's likely that other OSes with different MSI-X implementations are
able to trigger that bug. The result of not having the patch is that
interrupts of passed through devices will stay masked, thus
preventing the device from working (unless polling mode only is
used).

Pros:
  - It fixes a bug.
  - The patch is not very big or intrusive.

Cons:
  - It hasn't been tested as it's not in qemu-xen.
  - Only Windows is affected by the bug AFAIK.

IMHO, iff the backport is accepted it should be performed ASAP, so
that the patch can be properly tested before the release.

Thank you for the detailed explanation :). On a previous e-mail Stefano were happy with the backport. So:

Release-acked-by: Julien Grall <julien.grall@xxxxxxxxxx>

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall