Re: [Xen-devel] x86: PIE support and option to extend KASLR randomization

* Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Local unpriviledged users can probably get your secret bits using cache
> > > probing
> > > and jump prediction buffers.
> > >
> > > Yes, you don't want to leak the information using mmap(MAP_FIXED), but
> > > CPU will
> > > leak it for you, anyway.
> >
> > Depends on the CPU I think, and CPU vendors are busy trying to mitigate
> > this
> > angle.
>
> I believe any x86 CPU running Linux will leak it. And with CPU vendors
> putting "artifical inteligence" into branch prediction, no, I don't
> think it is going to get better.
>
> That does not mean we shoudl not prevent mmap() info leak, but...

That might or might not be so, but there's a world of a difference between
running a relatively long statistical attack figuring out the kernel's
location, versus being able to programmatically probe the kernel's location
by using large MAP_FIXED user-space mmap()s, within a few dozen microseconds
or so and a 100% guaranteed, non-statistical result.

Thanks,

        Ingo