Re: [Xen-devel] Runtime adjustment of hypervisor parameters

On 04/08/17 15:57, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 04/08/17 14:36, Juergen Gross wrote:

>>> What sort of parameters were you thinking of tweaking?  (Without any
>>> evidence) I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most of the
>>> hypervisor command line parameters are not safe to play with after boot.
>> The following would be a nice start for discussion:
>>
>> async-show-all, console_timestamps, conswitch,
>
> conswitch can already be altered using `xl debug-keys`
>
>> guest_loglvl, loglvl, hvm_debug,
>
> I'm getting slowly more annoyed with the scattergun approach of
> hvm_debug and the trace logic when it comes to the subset they each have
> of functionality.
>
> I've a cunning plan which I was going to propose once Paul's general
> mapping patches are a little better formed, whereby we can control
> action logging on a per-domain or per-vcpu basis, rather than getting a
> full-system torrent or nothing.
>
>> hvm_fep,
>
> This is a parameter for reasons of security (i.e. if you didn't choose
> it at boot, its definitely not usable in the system).  I plan to make it
> also need to be opted-in to at the toolstack level at domain build time.
>
> It isn't currently safe to try and flip this option behind the back of a
> domain, as the alteration only happens when constructing the vcpu.
>
>> hvm_port80,
>
> I have to admit that I question the utility of this at all.  I was
> considering killing it completely, not least because it makes
> nested-virt IO bitmap handling far harder.
>
>> iommu_dev_iotlb_timeout, irq_ratelimit,
>> nmi, noreboot, reboot, sync_console, vpmu,
>
> My CPUID series will hopefully sort vpmu out properly.  (like hvm_fep)
> needing to opt in to it in the Xen command line (due to its security
> status), and then opt in to it at the toolstack level.
>
>>  watchdog_timeout

Which parameters should be changeable is subject to discussion. I just
wanted to show there are more than 1 or 2 possible candidates.

> I think there is merit in having a whitelist of parameters we think are
> safe to be altered at runtime, and a dom0 mechanism of tweaking them.

That's what I'm suggesting.

The whitelist is a natural result from the need to specify each runtime
changeable parameter via another macro, e.g.:

 custom_param("console_timestamps", parse_console_timestamps);
+custom_runtime_param("console_timestamps", parse_console_timestamps);

For security reasons I would add another parameter switching runtime
modifications of parameters off for the running session (can be
specified as boot parameter to switch it off for the complete session,
or via runtime parameter change to do so e.g. after initializing the
settings via init script).

Juergen