Re: [Xen-devel] xen/link: Move .data.rel.ro sections into .rodata for final link

On Wed, 2017-08-02 at 03:17 -0600, Jan Beulich wrote:

> >... but then again, if the whole function is really doing nothing at
> >all when invoked with delta==0 then perhaps it would just be easier to
> >remove the first pass altogether. I feel sure I'm missing something,
>
> The reason is even visible in context above: We can't call blexit() after
> having called ExitBootServices(). Hence we need a "dry run" done early,
> to be certain we won't encounter unhandlable relocations later on.

Ah, thanks. I'd glossed over that as a "can never happen" condition.
And the 'default:' case really is that — the build system is broken if
we ever see that. But the DIR64 / in_page_tables() one is less provably
impossible.

> >Either way, this is still broken before my patch though, right?
>
> As long as there are .rodata entries needing relocation (which I
> understand you've found example of), yes.

And more to the point, .init.text entries needing relocation (since
UEFI isn't marking read-only *data* sections read-only yet for some
reason; only R+X sections).

But still that basically means that new versions of UEFI are going to
stop booting all existing EFI Xen images, doesn't it? Perhaps we should
look for a mitigation on the UEFI side.

Jeff, Jiewen, has this actually been shipped in an EDK2 release yet?

I confess I haven't actually built a current OVMF and *tested* the
hypothesis that it breaks; it just seems "obvious" :)

Adding Mark. Background: we think
https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/commit/d0e92aad46 will break existing
Xen EFI binaries because they write to a read-only code section
(.init.te) before calling ExitBootServices().