Re: [Xen-devel] offtopic: handling patches

On 30/06/17 17:57, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How you guys handle patches with emails? I know git am and git
> format-patch/send-email, but those tools are quite limited, especially
> when handling patch series, subsequent versions etc.
> What I miss there:
>  - patch versioning (git notes could be used, but it doesn't survive git
>    commit --amend, nor git rebase)
>  - keeping/versioning cover email
>  - collecting Cc: from all patches in series into cover email
>  - adding Reviewed-by, Acked-by etc tags
>
> I can't believe you all do this all manually ;)
> Is there any commonly available tool I can't find, or everyone have own
> scripts?

Manually, I'm afraid.  I've never found anything more automatic which works.

My general workflow is a single git branch which is always rebased onto
staging.

Patch version information lives in the commit message under a --- line,
and I am frequent user of `git commit --fixup/--squash` and `git rebase
--interactive`.

I've a separate directory tree where I format patch series including
cover letters, before using `git send-email --dry-run *.patch` to send
them.  These get recycled in a lazy fashon, typically once the series
has been committed, but the old cover letters generally available in an
adjacent directory when sending a newer series.

For collecting and reviewing tags, look at the PatchWork `pwclient`
utility.  Its `git-am` mode automagically collects tags, which is
fantastically useful for applying a patch for committing.  (Then again,
I do always manually check the conversation on list before actually
committing the series.)

~Andrew