Re: [Xen-devel] debian stretch dom0 + xen 4.9 fails to boot

On 06/07/2017 04:07 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> FWIW, one of machines in our test farm choked on this very patch. I
>> don't remember details now but essentially it turned out that syslinux
>> (we are pxe-booting) could not handle changes in ELF sections layout
>> (the way syslinux calculated how to load the binary into memory resulted
>> in overlap of some sort).
> There has always been an overlap between the main and the notes
> segment; there being only two segments I don't see any other
> potential for an overlap.

I realize this thread has progressed since yesterday but just to
clarify: I wasn't referring to overlap between Xen sections. It was
syslinux failing to fit sections of xen.gz, bzImage (and initramfs,
although I think mapping had already failed by the time syslinux got to
it) into e820 on that particular machine.

Because we are using rather old syslinux I figured it was something
specific to that version, which is why I didn't flag this as an issue.
Which, in the hindsight, was wrong.

-boris