Re: [Xen-devel] (pv)?grub and PVHv2

On 05/06/17 11:55, George Dunlap wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 02, 2017 at 11:33:50AM +0200, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there any method to boot PVHv2 domain using a kernel fetched from
>>> that domain's disk image, _without_ mounting it in dom0? Something like
>>> pvgrub was for PV.
>> Hello,
>>
>> Anthony (Cced) is working on an OVMF port, so it can be used as
>> firmware for PVHv2 guests.
> I think in theory it shouldn't be too hard to port the pvgrub2 code to
> boot into PVH, since it already boots in PV, right?
>
> Is this something we should try to encourage, or do you think it would
> be better to route everyone through EFI?

Even a PVH pvgrub still suffers the a priori problem which makes booting
PV guests extremely difficult.  You don't know ahead-of-time which
bootloader the guest is using without peering at its disks, which opens
a massive attack surface in dom0.

Using things like EFI allows any compatible OS to function, not just
ones which use grub.

~Andrew