Re: [Xen-devel] xl create failure on arm64 with XEN 4.9rc6

On 26/05/17 01:37, Feng Kan wrote:
On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 12:56 PM, Julien Grall <julien.grall@xxxxxxx> wrote:
(CC toolstack maintainers)

On 25/05/2017 19:58, Feng Kan wrote:

Hi All:

Hello,

This is not specifically against the XEN 4.9. I am using 4.12rc2
kernel on arm64 platform. Started dom0 fine with ACPI enabled, but
failed when creating the domU guest. Xen is built natively on the
arm64 platform. Using the same kernel and ramdisk as dom0. Any idea as
why it is stuck here
would be greatly appreciated?

The first step would to try a stable release if you can. Also, it would be
useful if you provide information about the guest (i.e the configuration)
and your .config for the kernel.
I am using the default xen_defconfig in the arm64 directory.

I am confused. There are no xen_defconfig in the arm64 directory of the kernel. So which one are you talking about?

This is
very early on
in building the domain, would the guest configuration matter?

The configuration of DOM0 kernel matters when you want to build the guest. That's why I wanted to know what options you enabled.

I gave a try on Linux 4.12rc2 and I was not able to reproduce your error.
Thanks, I started with 4.11 and work my way up. I have the same
problem in both cases.

I cannot rule out a problem in your .config until you sent me the full one.

xc: error: panic: xc_dom_boot.c:178: xc_dom_boot_domU_map: failed to
mmap domU pages 0x450c2+0x2f3d [mmap, errno=22 (Invalid ar
gument), chunksize 0x1000]: Internal error
libxl: error: libxl_dom.c:679:libxl__build_dom: xc_dom_build_image
failed: Invalid argument
domainbuilder: detail: xc_dom_release: called
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1217:domcreate_rebuild_done: Domain
1:cannot (re-)build domain: -3
libxl: debug: libxl_domain.c:1140:devices_destroy_cb: Domain 1:Forked
pid 2477 for destroy of domain
libxl: debug: libxl_create.c:1646:do_domain_create: Domain 0:ao
0x1ae10cb0: inprogress: poller=0x1ae10d40, flags=i
libxl: debug: libxl_event.c:1869:libxl__ao_complete: ao 0x1ae10cb0:
complete, rc=-3
libxl: debug: libxl_event.c:1838:libxl__ao__destroy: ao 0x1ae10cb0:
destroy
libxl: debug: libxl_domain.c:871:libxl_domain_destroy: Domain 1:ao
0x1ae10cb0: create: how=(nil) callback=(nil) poller=0x1ae10d
40

Seem to failed when mmapping pages for the ramdisk. I did some digging
and the failure
occurs during the  IOCTL_PRIVCMD_MMAPBATCH_V2 call. It seems the
8192's page had a err code of -22.

-22 is -EINVAL. There are quite a few path return -EINVAL, did you try to
narrow the failure in the kernel?
I dug a bit deeper, in privcmd_ioctl_mmap_batch, a global error was detected for
mmap_batch_fn during the mapping of the second half of  0x2f3d of pages. I am
still trying to track down why it is the 8192th element that cause the
problem. seem
like too much of coincidence its the first element of the second half.

Can you explain what you mean by "global error"?

 The system have plenty of memory.

Afterward, a null guest is created.
As a side note, how do I get rid of it?

Normally the domain should be destroyed by the tools if the building failed.

You should be able to destroy it using 'xl domain domid' where domid is the
domain ID of the domain. If it does not work, then it means dom0 is holding
reference on some page belonging to that domain.
Make sense, since I can rename it but destroy it still left it as null.

This is likely because someone (such as dom0) kept a reference on a page belonging to the domain.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall