Re: [Xen-devel] Proposal to allow setting up shared memory areas between VMs from xl config file

On Mon, 22 May 2017, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Stefano Stabellini writes ("Re: Proposal to allow setting up shared memory
> areas between VMs from xl config file"):
> > In this scenario, she is going to write to the VM config files of the
> > two apps that one page will be shared among the two, so that they can
> > send each other messages. She will hard-code the address of the shared
> > page in her "bare-metal" app.
>
> Thanks.  This makes some sense.
>
> How do these apps expect to interrupt each other, or do they poll in
> the shared memory ?  What I'm getting at with this question is that
> perhaps some event channels will need setting up.

As a matter of fact, I have been asking myself the same question. Nobody
asked me explicitly for notifications support, so I didn't include it in
the original project definition (it can always be added later) but I
think it would be useful.

Edgar, Jarvis, do you have an opinion on this? Do (software) interrupts
need to be setup together with the shared memory region to send
notifications back and forth between the two guests, or are they
unnecessary because the apps do polling anyway?

Event channels are not as complex as grants, but they are not trivial
either. Guests need to support the full event channel ABI even just to
receive notifications from one event channel only (because they need to
clear the pending bits), which is not simple and increases latency to
de-multiplex events. See drivers/xen/events/events_2l.c and
drivers/xen/events/events_base.c in Linux. I think we would have to
introduce a simpler model, where each "notification channel" is not
implemented by an event channel, but by a PPI or SGI instead. We expect
only one or two to be used. PPIs and SGIs are interrupt classes on ARM,
it is possible to allocate one or more for notification usage.

I think it is probably best to leave notifications to the future.

> > There is no frontend and backend (as in the usual Xen meaning). In some
> > configurations one app might be more critical than the other, but in
> > some other scenarios they might have the same criticality.
>
> Yes.
>
> > If, as Jan pointed out, we need to call out explicitly which is the
> > frontend and which is the backend for page ownership reasons, then I
> > suggested we expose that configuration to the user, so that she can
> > choose.
>
> Indeed.
>
> ISTM that this scenario doesn't depend on new hypervisor
> functionality.  The toolstack could set up the appropriate page
> sharing (presumably, this would be done with grants so that the result
> is like something the guests could have done themselves.)

Right, I don't think we need new hypervisor functionalities. I don't
have an opinion on whether it should be done with grants or with other
hypercalls, although I have the feeling that it might be more difficult
to achieve with grants. As long as it works... :-)

> I see no objection to the libxl domain configuration file naming
> guest-physical addresses for use in this way.
>
> One problem, though, is to do with startup order.  To do this in the
> most natural way, one would want to start both guests at once so that
> one would know their domids etc.  (Also that avoids questions like
> `what if one of them crashes'...)
>
> I'm not sure exactly how to fit this into the libxl model, which
> mostly talks about one guest domain at a time; and each guest config
> talks about persistent resources, rather than resources which are
> somehow exposed by a particular guest.
>
> I think this question is worth exploring to see what shape the right
> solution is.

You are right that it would make sense to start both domains together
but, to avoid confusion, I would stick with one config file per VM. I
would still require the user to issue "xl create" twice to start the two
guests.

If we demand the user to specify the domain that provides the memory,
then we establish a startup order naturally: the user needs to create
the memory sharing domain first, and the memory mapping domain second.