Re: [Xen-devel] Proposal to allow setting up shared memory areas between VMs from xl config file

>>> On 12.05.17 at 19:01, <blackskygg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1. Motivation and Description
> Virtual machines use grant table hypercalls to setup a share page for
> inter-VMs communications. These hypercalls are used by all PV
> protocols today. However, very simple guests, such as baremetal
> applications, might not have the infrastructure to handle the grant table.
> This project is about setting up several shared memory areas for inter-VMs
> communications directly from the VM config file.
> So that the guest kernel doesn't have to have grant table support to be
> able to communicate with other guests.

I think it would help to compare your proposal with the alternative of
adding grant table infrastructure to such environments (which I
wouldn't expect to be all that difficult). After all introduction of a
(seemingly) redundant mechanism comes at the price of extra /
duplicate code in the tool stack and maybe even in the hypervisor.
Hence there needs to be a meaningfully higher gain than price here.

Jan