Re: [Xen-devel] Modules support in Xen (WAS: Re: [ARM] Native application design and discussion (I hope))

> On 11 May 2017, at 18:20, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 6:14 PM, Volodymyr Babchuk
> <vlad.babchuk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi George,
>>
>> On 11 May 2017 at 19:35, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Even better would be to skip the module-loading step entirely, and just
>>> compile proprietary code directly into your Xen binary.
>>>
>>> Both solutions, unfortunately, are illegal.*
>> Look, I don't saying we want to produce closed-source modules or apps.
>> We want to write open source code. Just imagine, that certain header
>> files have some proprietary license (e.g. some device interface
>> definition and this interface is IP of company which developed it).
>> AFAIK, it can't be included into Xen distribution. I thought, that it
>> can be included in some module with different (but still open source)
>> license.  But if you say that it can't... Then I don't know. It is out
>> of my competence. I'm not lawyer also.
>
> I see.  That's good to know, but it doesn't change the legal aspect of
> things. :-0

The legal issues would be similar to those with Linux Kernel Modules. For more
information, see
http://www.ifross.org/en/artikel/license-incompatibility-and-linux-kernel-modules-reloaded

Best Regards
Lars