Re: [Xen-devel] differing opinions between maintainers vs patch acks

Andrew Cooper writes ("Re: differing opinions between maintainers vs patch
acks"):
> Taking this example, as you have called it out, but without going into
> the details.
>
> I accept that the issues under debate do not have any impact on the
> technical correctness of the fix.  Once compiled/assembled, the binary
> will function correctly.
>
> However, the bikeshedding makes a very real material impact on the
> understandability and reviewability of the code.
>
> In my mind, all other things being equal, making the code easier to
> understand and review is of paramount importance, and particularly in
> this case, not making an already complicated bit of code harder to review.

Well, at one level I agree with Andrew on at least the 1*1 and 0*8
question.  These seem clearer to me as they state the programmer's
intent as well as merely the effect.  I found Jan's response hard to
understand; there doesn't actually seem to be a counterargument.  I
suspect if I thought about it enough I would agree with Andrew about
the labels too.

But, earlier I said:

   I definitely agree that there is room for giving the author of some
   code (whether they are a maintainer or not) some leeway on matters of
   taste.  I think, though, that while this ought to be a principle
   applied by maintainers, committers and anyone else making relevant
   decisions, it is not a rule of governance to be applied in contested
   cases.

I think this case falls clearly into the category of things where we
could give the original contributor some leeway.  In this case that
means Jan.

IOW if I were in Andrew's position I would probably make the same
requests he has done, but if Jan maintained his position I would
certainly not block the patch over this.

Stepping back a bit: It is indeed important that our code is easy to
understand and modify, expresses its intent clearly, and helps future
programmers avoid writing bugs.  But it is also important that
contributors feel valued, and feel a sense of ownership.

The amount of emotional discouragement to a contributor does not scale
linearly with the size and apparent importance of the disagreement.
Indeed, turning a tiny issue into a blocker or a big argument can be
especially demotivating.

I think this case is an example of a situation where we should pay a
small price in code readability to keep a contributor happy.  (That
the contributor is also a maintainer doesn't seem to change this
analysis for me.)

I doubt either side will be particularly happy with this analysis.
Sorry about that.

Regards,
Ian.