Re: [Xen-devel] Outreachy project - Xen Code Review Dashboard

Hi Jesus,

While using the Elasticsearch python library
messages to an index, I would get a UnicodeEncodeError:
"'utf-8' codec can't encode character '\udca0' in position 767:
surrogates not allowed".

Investigating in Grimoire elk https://github.com/grim
oirelab/GrimoireELK/blob/96b00bc682485976104a6825ca63ae0
8639deacc/grimoire_elk/elk/mbox.py#L200 seems to show that
perhaps that tool instead uses Latin-1 encoding, but I found that
to then produce a serialization error (their custom error message:
"Unable to serialize %r (type: %s)"). I suppose this is because
now it's bytes; of course, converting back to string after encoding
just cycles back to the first error.

As somewhat of a Python newbie I don't really know how to tackle
this! My thought atm is to splice the offending character out
of the message.

And to clarify, my understanding is that the final result of this task
is an index of Xen data, with two types: commits and messages.
Each commit document should contain its original information
from git, plus the name of the branch it was developed in. And
should only the mbox messages which appear to be associated
with a specific commit exist in the final index? Is there some
key information in messages that is supposed to indicate the
association of a given commit with a git branch? I would be
grateful if you could specify the end goal a little more. :D

Thanks so much!

Heather

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona <jgb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 15:49 -0700, Heather Booker wrote:
> Hi Jesus,
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
> So about the task, instructions say after analyzing mboxes with
> Perceval to
> "store the resulting raw index in ElasticSearch" - what does raw
> index mean?

In this context, I mean "storing the JSON documents produced by
Perceval in an ElasticSearch index, as such". ElasticSearch stores JSON
documents, so it is just uploading the output of Perceval to it.

> In terms of figuring out the elasticsearch structure, do I want an
> (xen-devel mbox) with a type (message) and each object from the
> perceval
> output to be one document? Or should it be more fine-grained?

Exactly.

Saludos,

        Jesus.