Re: [Xen-devel] [GSoc] GSoc Introduction : Xen on ARM: create multiple guests from device tree

Hi Stefano,

I have asked questions in inline. Clarification below questions would really help me in contribution. Please look into the questions. I am highlighting them in this mail.

 For example, Dom1 should be able to share a page with Dom2 and a
  different page with Dom3. It needs to be clear which page is shared with
which VM from the VM config files.

when we create vms using xl create , for example if i am planning create three VMs,

Dom1, Dom2 and Dom3, because of the page sharing are we imposing any order of
  creating VMs.

  I am asking this question to clarify this point, while creation of Dom1 if its
  sharing pages with Dom 2 and Dom 3 , should Xen already be aware of Dom2 and Dom3?

  I am referring to following links to understand about mem sharing.

  http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=blob;f=tools/tests/mem-sharing/memshrtoo
  l.c;h=8e5e22b9e95d91f1441d8eb226b64852eca075d5;hb=HEAD
  http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/misc/grant-tables.txt

  I also want to figure out how domains are created and how xl tool parses the file
  and passes on the information to domain creation . Let me know if i am thinking in
  right direction.

  suggest any resource or work which would help with designing config file options.

 I will start with Xen-38 that would help me in exploring init code. Correct me if i
  am wrong.

  I have a few questions and clarifications before proceeding further. I have checked
  how config.gz file is generated in linux kernel source.
  In linux kernel sources, if CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC option is set, .conifg file which
  is generated after choosing options with lets say from make menuconfig  is read into
  a variable, this way its part of build.

  during init time proc_create service is used to create this file config.gz.
  http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/kernel/configs.c

  I guess i have to do something similar.

  Questions :

  1. When Xen is build using the make command, we effectively set XEN_COMPILE_ARCH,
  XEN_OS, XEN_TARGET which allow using corresponding .mk file from config folder.
  These variable in turn decide what are the config options. I wasnt able to find any
  .config. Please direct me to find the file or if i am missing something.

  2. Where and how this config file should be accessible to  User once in Dom0. Is the
  xen folder created to keep the information about guest domains like proc for process
  in linux kernel ? Will that be suitable location to have config file.

  3. if i assume that i will approach similarly, i have to add services to be called
  during init stage. As am not acquainted with code base, i could just grep with
  _start or _init or similar strings to find out initialization code. Any
  input(function name or filename) to look for will be of great help.