Re: [Xen-devel] raisin and minios stubdom

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 8:28 PM, Gémes Géza <geza.gemes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently the xen build system has optional support for building a minios
> (+needed libraries and tools) based stubdom.
>
> What is your opinion about moving support for building this into raisin and
> once that is stable drop support in the xen build system?

This was actually the original purpose of raisin: to allow a framework
for simply building all related components of a Xen system without
requiring *everything* to be built in-tree with make.  The thing that
triggered Stefano to write raisin was the availability of grub-xen
(building grub upstream as a PV target) -- there was resistance to
putting Yet Another Thing in the tree.

But the fact is it hasn't gotten much up-take with developers, and I
think you're the first user to give significant feedback on it.  As
you can see, many people prefer to have everything built under one
umbrella.

Logically it makes sense to *either* do things one way (make
everything under xen.git) or the other way (make only xen and tools
under xen.git, and use a tool like raisin to build everything else).
But as a community we haven't been able to agree on either one, and so
the status quo -- most things built under xen.git but nothing *new* --
continues.

In the meantime, there's no reason not to do both.  A normal "make" in
xen.git will build you a qemu, qemu-traditional, seabios, &c; raisin
disables that and builds everything separately.  The plan was always
to do the same thing for minios; nobodys had time to work on it yet.

Hope that makes sense -- join us on freenode channel #xendevel if you
want to chat more about this. :-)

 -George