[Xen-devel] vif-openvswitch.

  • To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Alvin Starr <alvin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 10:35:29 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 14:35:43 +0000
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.10.3 mail.netvel.net E204140341
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.1 mail.netvel.net E204140341

I recently ran into a situation where I wanted to change the MTU of an openvswitch bridge.

I modified /etc/xen/scripts/vif-openvswitch to set the MTU on the vif interfaces before they are attached to the bridge.

I am not sure if this is the best solution.

The MTU on an OVS bridge becomes the MTU of the smallest MTU attahced device which is fine but it seems that if you detach the smallest device from the bridge that the MTU stays at that lower level.

I have not tested this small MTU stickiness but it confused me for a while.

My patch sets the MTU of the new vif device from the MTU of the bridge which works well so long as nobody attaches a smaller MTU device.

I am not sure if this is the right solution but there should be some way to set the MTU of the bridge and vif devices.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin@xxxxxxxxxx              ||