Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] xen/pvh: detect PVH after kexec

Boris Ostrovsky <boris.ostrovsky@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 03/20/2017 02:20 PM, Vitaly Kuznetsov wrote:
>> PVH guests after kexec boot like normal HVM guests and we're not entering
>> xen_prepare_pvh()
>
> Is it not? Aren't we going via xen_hvm_shutdown() and then
> SHUTDOWN_soft_reset which would restart at the same entry point as
> regular boot?

No, we're not doing regular boot: from outside of the guest we don't
really know where the new kernel is placed (as guest does it on its
own). We do soft reset to clean things up and then guest jumps to the
new kernel starting point by itself.

We could (in theory, didn't try) make it jump to the PVH starting point
but we'll have to at least prepare the right boot params for
init_pvh_bootparams and this looks like additional
complication. PVHVM-style startup suits us well but we still need to be
PVH-aware.

[snip].

--
  Vitaly