Re: [Xen-devel] reboot dom0 without vps downtime

On 17/03/17 09:49, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
>> (Dropping xen-users)
>>
>> I have plans for the future, but I'm not sure when I'll have enough
>> time for it.
>>
>> Any help on this topic is welcome, of course!
>>
>> I think (at least) the following features are missing:
>>
>> - capability to specify a (new) dom0 kernel and initrd for reboot of
>>   dom0: both must be transferred to the hypervisor in a memory buffer
>>   which will be used for the reboot
>> - dom0 reboot capability in hypervisor using the kernel and initrd
>>   from the memory buffer, without destroying other domains
>> - dom0 has to check for presence of xenstore-stubdom before trying to
>>   create it. In case xenstore is already existing connect to it and
>>   re-establish needed connections to other domains, don't auto-start
>>   any other domains in this case
>>
>> I'm sure there are lots of other little pieces missing, but those can
>> be addressed after above main features are available.
>

> What about qemu processes (i'm interesting on hvm domains pvh or how
> they naming now)

For pvh domains qemu processes aren't mandatory. All mandatory backends
like disk and net must live in stubdoms for dom0 being rebootable, of
course.

For hvm domains you have to use qemu-stubdoms. Those are supported with
qemu-traditional only right now. Support of upstream qemu in a stubdom
is another feature which would be nice to have, but this is no blocking
point for dom0 reboot.

Juergen