Re: [Xen-devel] question: xen/qemu - mmio mapping issues for device pass-through

>>> I try to pass-through a device with 8G large bar, such as nvidia
>>> M60(note1, pci-e info as below). It takes about '__15 sconds__' to
>>> update 8G large bar in QEMU::xen_pt_region_update()..
>>> Specifically, it is xc_domain_memory_mapping() in xen_pt_region_update().
>>>
>>> Digged into xc_domain_memory_mapping(), I find it mainly call
>>> "do_domctl
>>> (…case XEN_DOMCTL_memory_mapping…)"
>>> to mapping mmio region.. of cause, I find out that this mapping could
>>> take a while in the code comment below ' case
>>XEN_DOMCTL_memory_mapping '.
>>>
>>> my questions:
>>> 1. could we make this mapping mmio region quicker?
>>

> Thanks for your quick reply.
>
>>Yes, e.g. by using large (2M or 1G) pages. This has been on my todo list for
>>quite a while...
>>
>>> 2. if could not, does it limit by hardware performance?
>>
>>I'm afraid I don't understand the question. If you mean "Is it limited by hw
>>performance", then no, see above. If you mean "Does it limit hw performance",
>>then again no, I don't think so (other than the effect of having more IOMMU
>>translation levels than really necessary for such large a region).
>>

> Sorry, my question is  "Is it limited by hw performance"...
>
> I am much confused. why does this mmio mapping take a while?
> I guessed it takes a lot of time to set up p2m / iommu entry. That's why I
> ask "Is it limited by hw performance".

Well, just count the number of page table entries and that of the
resulting hypercall continuations. It's the sheer amount of work
that's causing the slowness, together with the need for us to use
continuations to be on the safe side. There may well be redundant
TLB invalidations as well. Since we can do better (by using large
pages) I wouldn't call this "limited by hw performance", but of
course one may.

Jan