 Subject: Re: [Xen-users] "Hello Xen Project" Book.
 To: "Mohsen" <mohsen1365b@xxxxxxxxx>
 Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 4:04 PM

 Hi Mohsen,

 > On 15 Mar 2017, at 09:50,
 Mohsen <mohsen1365b@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:

 > Dear Xen
 Project community members,

 > I have written a Xen book recently (pdf
 attached) which is aimed at teaching Xen newbies. I would
 like to make the book available to the Xen Project under a
 CC-BY-SA-3.0 license. Ideally, I would like to publish the
 content on the Xen Project wiki in an editable form, such
 that others can contribute and build on it and it stays
 up-to-date. I also noticed that the Xen Wiki has the
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection
 extension, which should make it possible to create a
 PDF, ODF or DocBook from the pages for those who want a
 manual rather than wiki pages.

 Thank you for doing this. As far as I can tell
 the fact that you published the book under CC-BY-SA-3.0
 would make it possible to move the content to the wiki.

 > I had a conversation with
 Lars to check whether this is possible and he believes it
 is. He suggests that first we upload the book as pdf to the
 wiki and as a second step, agree an information architecture
 and then convert the book to mark-down. There are a number
 of conversion tools which should get us there some of the
 way, with a bit of cleanup and beautification needed after
 the initial import. I can make the source available in a
 format that makes conversion to markdown easier.

 We do need to find a way to
 convert the content into markdown format though, which may
 be quite a bit of work.

 have done this before for html pages, converting them into
 docman markdown. I have not checked whether there are online
 or command line tools which do that for mediawiki markdown.
 In any case, the conversion is fundamentally doable,
 although it will be somewhat tedious to do this. If anyone
 has more experience, please share and advise what the best
 way forward is.

 The main
 problem that I faced when doing something similar were
 tables, figures and other more advanced formatting. Much of
 this may get lost or "corrupted" in some way and
 will have to be re-introduced post conversion.

 @Mohsen: as far as I recall,
 you used Word or LibreOffice to create the book? Is that
 correct? If so, it should be possible to save it in html,
 which would ensure that figures and so on are saved in some
 sensible way. We would probably need to find a temporary
 location where to store this. And we can start experimenting
 a little and maybe provide a quick guide on how to do
 this.

 As for the
 information architecture, I was thinking about a structure
 such as ...

 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/<wikibook>

 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/<wikibook>/title_and_credits

 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/<wikibook>/<chapter>

 ... a separate article for each article in
 the book, such as "Virtualization and Security".
 As a first step, we would probably keep the original chapter
 structure.

 This would then
 look something like ...
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/0/Title
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/0/Credits
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/0/Licence
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/1-Intro
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/1-Intro/History
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/1-Intro/TypesOfVirtualization

 We may need some other
 extensible numbering scheme, which would make it easy to
 create PDF's with https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection
 - again, this is something I don't have experience
 with.

 > What do people
 think? Is this a good idea? Would anyone be willing to help?
 I am not very familiar with Markdown and would need someone
 else to help with the wikification of the book. Lars already
 volunteered to help.

 I will
 definitely help, but this would be an activity, which could
 easily be distributed. So help from others would be very
 highly appreciated.

 Best
 Regards
 Lars