Re: [Xen-devel] [early RFC] ARM PCI Passthrough design document

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 10:28:43AM -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 12:23:18PM +0900, Roger Pau Monné wrote:

> > > Yes. Unless the PCI drivers come up with some other way to tell the
> > > OS that oh, hey, there is this new PCI device with this BDF.
> > >
> > > Or the underlaying bus on ARM can send some 'new device' information?
> >
> > Hm, is this something standard between all the SR-IOV implementations, or
> > each
> > vendors have their own sauce?
>
> Gosh, all of them have their own sauce. The only thing that is the same
> is that suddenly behind the PF device there are PCI devies that are responding
> to 0xcfc requests. MAgic!

I'm reading the PCI SR-IOV 1.1 spec, and I think we don't need to wait for the
device driver in Dom0 in order to get the information of the VF devices, what
Xen cares about is the position of the BARs (so that they can be mapped into
Dom0 at boot), and the PCI SBDF of each PF/VF, so that Xen can trap accesses to
it.

AFAICT both of this can be obtained without any driver-specific code, since
it's all contained in the PCI SR-IOV spec (but maybe I'm missing something).

Roger.