Re: [Xen-devel] kpartx for raisin hvm tests

On Wed, 1 Mar 2017, Gémes Géza wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2017, Géza Gémes wrote:
On 2017-02-21 23:10, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
On Tue, 21 Feb 2017, Géza Gémes wrote:
Hi,

I've tried to run the raisin test suite, while pv tests pass the
hvm
tests
fail. I've identified a number of problems, starting with two
small
disk
size
to formating the whole disk and then being unable to install grub
the
boot
sector. I've trace down these problems into the incorrect
invocation
of
the
_create_loop_device function in scripts/lopartsetup.

My question: Will it be acceptable if I would replace this part of
the
code
with a kpartx call? Or introducing kpartx is a too big change in
the
list
of
dependencies?
     I understand that kpartx makes things much easier, but before
introducing it as a dependency, I would like to understand this
problem
a bit better.

Why is _create_loop_device invoked incorrectly? Is it index or
offset
that is calculate incorrectly?
Hi Stefano,

In scripts/lopartsetup:56 unit="`fdisk -lu $filename 2>/dev/null |
grep -e
"^Units = " | cut -d " " -f 9`" . Using ubuntu 16.04 (fdisk coming
from
util-linux-2.27.1-6ubuntu3.2) this yields to an empty variable, as:

$sudo fdisk -lu /tmp/tmp.x9UN6uxaG2/busybox-vm-disk 2>/dev/null

Disk /tmp/tmp.x9UN6uxaG2/busybox-vm-disk: 60 MiB, 62914560 bytes,
122880
sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Because of this both unit and offset are wrong ( offset=`echo $i | tr
-s "
" |
cut -d " " -f 2`, where i=fdisk -lu $filename 2>/dev/null | grep -e
"^$filename")

As I think that different versions of fdisk will produce different
results, we
either introduce an additional logic for the fdisk version, either
change
this
part completely.
It doesn't look like fdisk changed output in this case. It looks like
the disk doesn't have any partitions in it. Am I right?

It would be easy to add support to lopartsetup to detect disks without
partitions, and deal with them correctly, without bringing in kpartx.
However, this scenario shouldn't occur, because lopartsetup is only
called by create_one_partition, right after creating a partition on the
disk.

Do you know why create_one_partition doesn't work as expected?
Hi Stefano,

Sorry for the late answer. The only change I've did on Ubuntu 16.04 was to
increase the hvm disk size to 60 MB.

In the meanwhile I set up an ubuntu 14.04 test system and for the first
time
tried to run the tests as an ordinary user instead of root. I've found a
set
of problems. I've made a patch
(https://github.com/geza-gemes/raisin/commit/8a1227d96697a4d8be9130fd9b16404decbe7605)
for those.
That's a good patch, thank you. Could you please submit it to xen-devel?

Although this fixes the problem of running the tests as non-root,
it turned out, that even on ubuntu 14.04 the 20MB disk is not enough for
the
hvm guest. I'll try to find the suitable disk size there and if successful
I'll move back to ubuntu 16.04.
The tiny disk size was only meant to be used for busybox guests. Also, I
still don't understand what's wrong with the fdisk code. Could you
please check if the partition table has been setup correctly on the
disk? In other words, does create_one_partition work correctly?
Hi Stefano,

I've sent the patch to xen-devel as an ordinary e-mail as I didn't manage to
make git send-email work with my gmail account :-(.
It takes some time to get right.

My experience with ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 shows, that the disk size is too
small to accommodate the kernel and the initrd. Increasing to 60MB solves that
problem, but the image is still not bootable (grub cannot be installed on
16.04 as it looks like the whole disk gets formated, and grub cannot load the
kernel on 14.04.). I'll continue investigating 14.04 tomorrow.
All right, thanks. For debugging the fdisk problem, you might as well
increase the disk size as much as it takes.

Hi Stefano,

I'm still fighting to get grub install correctly. In the meanwhile I've set up a CentOS7 system and found some issues, for which I've started sending patches.

Cheers,

Geza