Re: [Xen-devel] xen/arm: Hiding SMMUs from Dom0 when using ACPI on Xen

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Shanker Donthineni <shankerd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 10:58:10 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 16:58:26 +0000
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.2 smtp.codeaurora.org BDBD360854

Hi Julien,

On 02/27/2017 08:12 AM, Julien Grall wrote:

On 27/02/17 13:23, Vijay Kilari wrote:
Hi Julien,

Hello Vijay,

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 7:40 PM, Julien Grall <julien.grall@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

There was few discussions recently about hiding SMMUs from DOM0 when using
ACPI. I thought it would be good to have a separate thread for this.

When using ACPI, the SMMUs will be described in the IO Remapping Table
(IORT). The specification can be found on the ARM website [1].

For a brief summary, the IORT can be used to discover the SMMUs present on the platform and find for a given device the ID to configure components such
as ITS (DeviceID) and SMMU (StreamID).

The appendix A in the specification gives an example how DeviceID and
StreamID can be found. For instance, when a PCI device is both protected by
an SMMU and MSI-capable the following translation will happen:
        RID -> StreamID -> DeviceID

Currently, SMMUs are hidden from DOM0 because they are been used by Xen and we don't support stage-1 SMMU. If we pass the IORT as it is, DOM0 will try
to initialize SMMU and crash.

I first thought about using a Xen specific way (STAO) or extending a flag in
IORT. But that is not ideal.

So we would have to rewrite the IORT for DOM0. Given that a range of RID can mapped to multiple ranges of DeviceID, we would have to translate RID one by one to find the associated DeviceID. I think this may end up to complex code
and have a big IORT table.

Why can't we replace Output base of IORT of PCI node with SMMU output base?.
I mean similar to PCI node without SMMU, why can't replace output base
of PCI node with
SMMU's output base?.

Because I don't see anything in the spec preventing one RC ID mapping to produce multiple SMMU ID mapping. So which output base would you use?

Basically, remove SMMU nodes, and replaces output of the PCIe and named nodes ID mappings with ITS nodes.

RID --> StreamID --> dviceID --> ITS device id = RID --> dviceID --> ITS device id

The issue I see is RID is [15:0] where is DeviceID is [17:0].

Actuality device id is 32bit field.

However, given that DeviceID will be used by DOM0 to only configure the ITS. We have no need to use to have the DOM0 DeviceID equal to the host DeviceID. So I think we could simplify our life by generating DeviceID for each RID
range.

If DOM0 DeviceID != host Device ID, then we cannot initialize ITS using DOM0 ITS commands (MAPD). So, is it concluded that ITS initializes all the devices
with platform specific Device ID's in Xen?.

Initializing ITS using DOM0 ITS command is a workaround until we get PCI passthrough done. It would still be possible to implement that with vDeviceID != pDeviceID as Xen would likely have the mapping between the 2 DeviceID.

I believe mapping dom0 ITS commands to XEN ITS commands one to one is the better approach. Physical DeviceID is unique per ITS group, not a system wide unique ID. In case of direct VLPI, LPI number has to be programmed whenever dom0/domU calls the MAPTI command but not at the time of PCIe device creation.

--
Shanker Donthineni
Qualcomm Datacenter Technologies, Inc. as an affiliate of Qualcomm