[Xen-devel] Enabling #VE for a domain from dom0

Hello,

We are trying to use the #VE support in Xen to monitor memory accesses
to certain pages from a kernel module in Windows.

As it is written now, the #VE-enabling code appears to enforce being
called by a domain for itself (by each VCPU for itself, actually), which
severely limits its usefulness. Is there an architectural reasoning for
this or some other factor I'm missing?

The process of enabling #VE as I understand it starts from
xc_altp2m_set_vcpu_enable_notify(); further along, when the
HVMOP_altp2m_vcpu_enable_notify message is handled, several checks are
made to ensure it's called for the current VCPU.

Another check is in p2m.c in the function p2m_set_altp2m_mem_access(),
which clears the "suppress #VE" bit only for pages on the same domain:

    return ap2m->set_entry(ap2m, gfn_l, mfn, PAGE_ORDER_4K, t, a,
                         (current->domain != d));

The "(current->domain != d)" bit there is the sve parameter.

Is there any reason not to allow cross-domain enabling of #VE?

Thank you,
--
Vlad-Ioan TOPAN
Linux Kernel Development Lead