Re: [Xen-devel] Install of Xen 4.8 on Fedora 25 makes the box unbootable.. which is due to /var/run/xen being created, instead of /run/xen

On 15/02/17 22:10, Boris Ostrovsky wrote:
> On 02/15/2017 03:51 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> Credit goes to Boris (CC-ed) for figuring out how to fix this.
>>
>> I was doing:
>>
>> ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-systemd
>> make -j8
>> cd dist;./install.sh;)
>> reboot
>>
>> and to my surprise it would hang on
>> Starting Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen"...
>>

>> with a bunch of 'FAILED'.
>>

>> What I hadn't realized is that Fedora has removed the
>> /var/run and is now using /run. But the dist/install
>> has the /var/run directory (dist/install/var/run/) in it -
>> and that seems to make everything blow up as it erase
>> the original symlink:
>>
>> [konrad@x230 /]$ ls -al /var/run
>> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 6 Oct  5 02:08 /var/run -> ../run
>>
>> with its own directory which has nothing to do with /run - and
>> which only has 'xen' and 'xenstored' in it (albeit at bootup things
>> do seem to be created there - but they are not in sync with things in
>> /run).
>>

>> The "Fix" is to boot with 'init=/bin/bash' on Linux command line and do:
>>
>> mount / -o remount,rw
>> rm -rf /var/run
>> mkdir /run/xen
>> mkdir /run/xenstored
>> ln -sf /run /var/run
>>
>> And then everything works again.
>>
>> A bit of light builds shows that RELEASE-4.7.0
>> does not have an dist/install/var/run but
>> RELEASE-4.8.0 and higher does.
>>
>> And I am not exactly sure which commit does this and
>> how to go around to auto-detect this?
>
> I *think* this started happening after
>   https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-08/msg00372.html

I thought using:

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-systemd XEN_RUN_DIR=/run/xen
XEN_RUN_STORED=/run/xenstored

would solve this issue, but obviously those settings don't make it into
config/Paths.mk

I suggest adding something like "--rundir=..." to the possible configure
parameters defaulting to /var/run and set XEN_RUN_DIR to $(rundir)/xen
and XEN_RUN_STORED to $(rundir)/xenstored.

Juergen